An Interview with Dr. Aruna Narlikar


Dr. Aruna Narlikar

 Who or what inspired you to embark on your own journey in the world of arts?

I was born into a family that prioritized art and culture, literature, and education. I grew up surrounded by beautiful books in different languages. My father was a professor of physics, my mother an award-winning author and academic, and together they cultivated a perfect atmosphere that fostered creativity, originality, and learning. It was first through books that I saw the beauty of the works of the great masters like Leonardo Da Vinci, Michelangelo, Monet, Picasso, and more (it was a remarkable experience to see some of their works in the original forms at the Louvre in Paris and the Tate in London, many years later!). Writing and painting thus came very naturally, almost like walking and talking. 

 Have you studied arts or obtained formal training in it?

I have a Ph.D. in English literature, and always had a strong interest in and exposure to art in diverse forms. I did not go to an arts training college – I am largely self-taught.  

 Describe your art style.

I like to experiment with different media in art. I have worked and continue to work with watercolor, oil, and acrylic on canvas, and ink on paper. My special technique of working in light relief to make paintings of ancient monuments has received much appreciation, as have the delicate details that ink on paper allows. Ganesha has always been an inspiring and favorite theme for me. 

 For how many years have you practiced your art, and have you had to overcome any hurdles on the way?

I’ve practiced my art since I was a small child and hopefully gotten better along the way.  Hurdles – yes – of course, I could list a great many. But the most important thing is whether one gets joy out of what one is doing – if one can focus on that, even the biggest hurdles become inconsequential. My husband and my daughter have been a pillar of strength in making them so.

 What memorable responses have you had to your work?  

The response from art critics and engagement with interested viewers in India and abroad were both amongst the most rewarding experiences.  For example, “...She makes the corpulent Ganesha dance without awkwardness, matching the achievement of the Gahadvala epoch...”, Krishna Chaitanya, Hindustan Times, Delhi. 

 What do you aim to achieve in the future? 

To keep learning! Luckily there is no retirement age for writing and painting – and I would like to keep experimenting with new ideas and new styles.

Is there any specific area you now wish to explore?

Absolutely – but it’s a secret for the time being  “Watch this space” is all I will say at the moment! 

What would you advise youngsters inclined towards the arts? 

Follow your heart. Once you know what you want to do, work at it, work hard at it. With love and commitment. And remember, practice makes perfect.

Dr. Aruna Narlikar's Artworks





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

An Interview with Ms. Gaurisha Singh